Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Looking at Each other from the Inside Out: Our 4 th Meetpoint
Christina D'Onofrio

                On April 24 th , 2016, we had our fourth measuring point. The statement and theme of this measurement point was "Inside or outside, where do you look." We Began the measuring point with a youth service. Reverend Jan Verlinden gift a sermon on both Zacchaeus and the legendary Susan Boyole, who was made ​​famous after her performance on Brittan's Got Talent. Most people know the story of Zacchaeus. Little guy, up in a tree, rejected by society for both his appearance and actions. Rejected by everyone, that is, except Jesus. Susan Boyole was similarly rejected for her less-then-conventional appearance and her quirky mannerisms. She then Proceeded to win the love and adoration of the judges and audience with an outstanding vocal performance. The motif was clear: do not judge a book by it's cover.
                But as I spoke to the teenagers Throughout the event, it Became so much more.    We spoke about the dangers of judging people, not Because They May have some secret talent or May one day be favored by God, but Because They are human. And Such ashes, They deserve to be complexly imagined. My favorite author, John Green, talks about imagining or at eachother complexly. This Means understanding thatthere are so many aspects that'll make up who we are and what we do. We can not be Categorized or defined so simply. All of us containerization multitudes.

                Axis part of the measuring point, I had the privilege of writing and performing my first collaborative poem with 17 year old Monica Dieleman. We started each stanza with "You know who I am." We then Talked about each character from the outside perspective, followed by the or at juxtaposing inside perspective. We ended the poem with the line "So who is it That you know? Do you see me?" My goal as a youth worker is to be printable to say yes. I see you. I understand there's so much to you that i can not know. But I am here to learn all that I can. I am willing to catch whatever glimpse of the inside you are willing to show me. I see you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment